Thursday, May 16, 2013

Craft of the Week: The Scrap Letter

I decided I am going to start a segment of my blog called, Craft of the Week.
Each week I will post the craft I am working on for my missionary.

This week I created a letter made out of an envelope, left over scrap booking paper, and some yarn.
Its easy to make and very cute! Because the video contains some personal info, I am making it private.

Email me for the password (carlycorrineupton@gmail.com):


Keep Calm & Wait On: The Scrap Letter from Carly Upton on Vimeo.



The Do's and Don'ts of Writing Missionaries!


Do

Share spiritual experiences
Give him updates on people's mission calls
Give him updates about their friends on missions
Share exciting moments in your life
Share how you have overcame trials
Write about your favorite scriptures/talks/lessons
Share the blessings you have received from his service
Tell him about investigators in your ward
Reply to ALL of his letters/emails (be detailed and give your opinion) whenever I do this, the Spirit always tells me what to say. It is a great way to feel like you are apart of their work.
BE YOURSELF. He loves you. And wants to hear from YOU. Put some personality in that letter.


Don't

Fight with them.
Judge them.
Chastise them (you aren't perfect either) There is a thin line between constructive criticism and chastising .
Complain about missing them so much. I know this is hard ladies, but it is hard for your missionary too. He is SO HOMESICK and complaining makes it worse for him. Its okay to be honest and tell them you miss them. They like to hear that. I'm not saying sugar coat everything and make it seem like "Happy Dandy Daisy Land." This is REALITY people. But still don't be depressing.
If you are dating other people...the is pretty much common sense but...don't tell him about all these amazing guys you are dating...AWKWARD ladies. Just awkward.
Write them because you "have" to. Write them because you want to and because you love them. No body wants a pity letter.
Break up with them by sending them a wedding announcement!!!!! Okay this is just cruel to me, your missionary deserves much more respect than that.


How to categorize your letters

I am a heading kind of girl. I like to section my letters off in the days of the week or the types of things I am talking about. Sometimes I do both. This is helpful when you have SO MUCH to catch him up on, but don't know how to do it. CATEGORIZE!

Days of the week
Spiritual v. Non spiritual
Friends, Family, and Those you are struggling with
School, Work, Church

I like to us cute headings like:
You've been called to... (then write about recent mission calls)
Guess What? (recent updates)
An apple a day (I have had a lot of health issues so I write about them a lot haha)
...You get the point


A cute challenge:

My missionary and I are starting to do this. We are picking a chapter in the Book of Mormon, reading it, and writing each other what our insights are. I miss having scripture study with my elder more than anything. This is going to be a nice way to be able to read separately, but share our insights together. This boy always receives some serious revelation for me. He always says exactly what I need to hear. Hopefully this will allow us to pump each other up! GO MISSIONARY WORK!


Well that is all for now,

Have a great week guys and please email me your pictures carlycorrineupton@yahoo.com or tag me on instagram @carlyupton if you use my idea for The Scrap Letter!


Love you ladies!
And remember:



Keep Calm and Wait on


xoxo
Caa







No comments:

Post a Comment