Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Pros: Jessica & Michael

The Pros ...

Is a new weekly segmant I am doing about girls who faithfully waited for their missionaries! Each week we will be able to hear from real girls who had their fairytales come true. I will have a tab on my page so you can keep up with and look back on each Pro Story.

Two years really does pass ladies and here is a love story to prove it:







Our Love Story: Michael and I met in kinda a funny way. We're basically high school sweethearts. I was finishing my sophomore year and he was finishing his junior year. But we first saw each other at my older sister's and his older brother's seminary graduation.  I didn't want to go to it, but felt like I should. Later I found out that he didn't want to go either but felt like he should too! Well I was sitting on a bench before it started, looking around for my grandma when I saw him. It was the usual "woaaahhh who's THAT?" kinda thing. And he SMILED AT ME. My heart went crazy. Through the entire graduation, I was trying so hard not to keep looking back at him like a creep. But I'd sneak glances ;) Only to see that he kept scooting down the bench and smiling at me:) So the graduation ended and everyone went back for refreshments. Then I saw him talking to an oh so popular jock and i thought "Well. There goes that. He's too cool for me. Too outta my league." And I hate to say it but I kinda forgot about him! Ha. Well the next week was yearbook day and I was telling my friend about this hot guy in my stake that I saw at the graduation. RIGHT when I was telling her, I saw him. Right. there. I never thought I'd see him ever again! I pointed him out to her and she said "Uhhhh Jess? I think he's talking to you...!" Sure enough, he was yelling at me to come over there! Shaking, I walked over to him and he said "I know I don't know you...but will you sign my yearbook?" Of course, I agreed! I wrote something stupid like "you're hot. let's hang" and put my number. haha. He put "You're in my stake! And really pretty:)" And he left his number. I died right then. After that, I kept seeing him everywhere and I was so intrigued by him and I wanted to get to know him! Later that day, he text me:) I was stupid and I was scared to go out with him at first because HELLO. Hot, almost senior guy! I was intimidated. He asked me out for about a month straight when finally he text me and said "Look. I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, I'm a good guy I promise! And...I'm a virgin!!" hahahaha so I finally decided that I probably should go out with him. So I agreed. I almost backed out right before he picked me up but I'm glad I didn't. We held hands the first date and it was the first time that I felt like my whole arm was on fire holding someone's hand. I was on cloud 9 the rest of the night:) He became my best friend instantly. We connected in ways I never thought possible. We went through basically the same tough things in high school and he understood me better than anyone I'd ever known. And come to find out, he told me he was looking for me EVERYwhere after the graduation. He said he asked around, looked on Facebook, etc. It was real cute:) He tells me that I'm an answer to his prayers, and he definitely has been to mine:) 

How long did we date before he left? We dated for about a year and a half!

Did you date or hard core wait? I definitely didn't hard core wait. I went on dates with other guys, because I really needed to find out for myself if he was that special one for me. I even kissed a couple other guys. I know. Most MGs would say that's awful. But it was helpful for me because I would have never known how much I hated kissing other guys if I hadn't have done it. Dating just made me realize how much I loved Michael and how amazing and unique he really is:)

How did you stay busy? I stayed busy by focusing on myself. I went to college, then went to cosmetology school, then ended up in esthetics. I focused on bettering myself for him. I focused on growing spiritually and in other ways as well. I spent a lot of time with a good friend, who was really good at cheering me up and making me laugh. He helped me a ton while Michael was gone. Again, we were STRICTLY friends. ;) But he was always there and helped me through it.

Best thing an MG can do? Focus on growing in lots of ways, especially spiritually. Live your life. Don't sit around like I did sometimes during the wait, and just sulk. I'm guilty of that and I wish I hadn't. YES it's OK to have days that you sulk and watch chick flicks and eat your weight in junk food. It's normal. But don't waste weeks or months being miserable. Get out and enjoy it. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured:)

Worst thing an MG can do? WORRYING. I did SO much of this and I seriously wished I hadn't. It made me miserable for SO LONG. I ALWAYS worried about how things would work out with my missionary. If we'd get married, if I'd meet someone else, if he wouldn't want me when he got back, if i'd get dear janed, If i'd dear john him, if i wasn't spiritually ready for him...the list goes on and on. I made myself sick a few times just worrying about everything. Trust in the Lord. Don't worry so much. He knows what He's doing. I know that's easier said than done, but seriously- pray to be ok with however things will work out. You'll be much happier that way.

Biggest piece of advice? Don't let anyone tell you how to wait. Don't let anyone tell you what's the right way or the wrong way to wait. It's bull crap most of the time. The wait is different for EVERYone. Some girls think it's a huge sin and you should go to Hell for dating while your boy is gone. Some think that dating is helpful and everyone should. But do what's best for YOU. Pray about how you should "wait". The Lord will never steer you wrong. And if you're doing what the Lord says you should do, you have nothing to worry about:) People can't tell you you're wrong, otherwise they're saying the Lord is wrong. Which is NEVER true. So don't worry about the haters. "You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, but there's still going to be someone who hates peaches." People are always gonna hate. They're gonna find some reason to. Just don't listen to them.

What was it like when he came home? WELL. The day he came home- it started out absolutely horrible. His mom said his plane was coming early so I was rushed in getting ready and I felt like i looked horrible. And it was in January so there was snow and it was seriously bumper to bumper the ENTIRE way to the airport. I thought I was gonna die from anxiety. I thought I was gonna miss him coming down the escalator. When we finally got to the airport, we RAN all the way there. Only to find out that for the SECOND time in the history of the Salt Lake airport- they had to close it because of bad weather. Of course that'd happen on my day. He was descending to land and they went back up and had to fly into Montana. WHAT. We waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. We were at the airport waiting for 6 hours. They were saying he might not even get to come home that day. I was pretty devastated. There were so many false alarms. People getting off planes saying they saw missionaries on the plane. It was horrible. Finally, I was looking at his flight on the screen and I said a prayer. I told God I really couldn't do it anymore and to please help me. The SECOND after I said that prayer, It said his flight had landed! I about puked. We got all ready, standing at the bottom of the escalator for about the fourth time, and then there he was! I immediately started bawling and I couldn't believe he was right there. The wait became worth it in that second, and I'll NEVER forget the feelings I had when I saw him. It was the most amazing moment ever. I still get cold chills thinking about it and it was over 6 months ago. He hugged his family then came and gave me the longest hug. It was incredible. I never wanted to let go and I felt like I was gonna burst. Then we had to leave each other because we drove in separate cars and it was horrible :( haha. I was waiting for him to be released and I had to wait another 3 hours. That was agony too. Haha but finally his mom text me saying they were coming to get me and take me to their house!:) I was SO EXCITED. When I got to his house, I thought "he's actually in this house!" I'd been there a million times while he was gone, but now he was actually here again! We saw each other and hugged and we didn't let go the rest of the night! haha. It was amazing how normal it was. Totally normal. It felt like he hadn't even left and we picked up right where we left off. When his family went into the other room- he grabbed me and kissed me and I died. haha. It was MAGICAL. In every sense of the word. It felt so good and right to kiss him again. After he kissed me he said, "I wanted to do that the second I saw you." it was amazing:) Then we just spent the whole night talking and laughing, and kissing...;) I was with him till about one in the morning. My dad was super mad that I wasn't home but it was TOTALLY worth it;) haha. It felt amazing. One of the best nights of my life. Ever. It was a fairytale. 




What are you doing now? Well now we're engaged! He proposed 3 months after he came home. We're getting married in the Salt Lake Temple on August 23rd:) We're so excited to start our life together!


What was your favorite memory the two of you shared? Growing closer together, even though we were far apart. It's amazing how much closer we grew as a couple. Putting the Lord first, really does bring you together. :)






Thank you for sharing your story Jess :) You are such an example to me & I hope to get my happy ending like you did! Best of wishes to you and your hubby <3 p="">


xoxo

Carly

2 comments:

  1. My sister's older friend Jessica totally has a success story she would love to share! She might have actually featured it on her blog! http://nerdandhealthnut.blogspot.com Take a look! :)

    ReplyDelete